The most dangerous blog in Detroit.

Friday, March 18, 2005

Shut it down.




Testimony at the March 17, 2005 MDEQ
public hearing. Hamtramck, MI.
Thursday, March 17, 2005, approximately 75 residents, activists and concerned citizens gathered in the gym of the Hamtramck Community Center to make themselves heard. These were the folks in attendance at the public hearing sponsored by the MDEQ to facilitate the process of revoking the operating permit for the Michigan Waste Services medical waste incinerator in Hamtramck.

Along with testimony from dozens of private citizens representing a wide range of ages and ethnic communities, the MDEQ heard from from State Senator Martha Scott's office, Hamtramck City Council, The Ecology Center, Healthcare Without Harm, Arab Chaldean Community Environmental and Social Services (ACCESS), The Sierra Club, The Gray Panthers, Westland City Council, Preserve Our Parks, the Hamtramck Environmental Action Team (HEAT), Hamtramck Block Clubs, Hamtramck Homeowners Association, Hamtramck Zoning Board of Appeals and Hamtramck School Board.

I spoke, as did fellow Hamtramck blogger Steven Cherry (middle photo).

I was sending photos and commentary to Hamtown Confidential via my picture phone as the procedings were occuring, but something didn't work out and the data never posted. I had to repost the stuff the old fashioned way this morning. Fie on Blogger and SprintPCS!

Afterwards I met up with chum Steve Hughes (the dark haired guy in the foreground in the photos) and Hillary and Steven from Hamtramckstar.com and we all had a lovely time at The Belmont.

Oh, the incinerator?

The public comment period ends March 31, 2005. After that it's anybody's guess as to how quickly, if at all, the wheels of justice will turn.

Keep your fingers crossed and your nose plugged.

I'll keep you posted.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The most interesting announcement came from the Host of Hamtown Confidential who will soon be buying another batch of cigars to pass around.

Good to see your not shooting blanks, Mikie.

Only a real man can produce two sons in a row, so does Mikie have it in him.

I think....

Congraduations

3/18/2005 3:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i noticed gosia wasn't at the public hearing. does she know yet?

;)

3/18/2005 6:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congraduations??

3/19/2005 12:32 AM

 
Blogger Mike said...

I wasn't sure what it meant either. Thanks, though.

Mike

3/20/2005 9:51 AM

 
Blogger Mike said...

Anonymous said: " i noticed gosia wasn't at the public hearing. does she know yet?"

I never said she was the baby momma.

For the record, she is.

Am I the baby daddy, that's the real issue.

For the record, I am.

F'real. No: f'real.

Mike

3/20/2005 9:54 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home