The most dangerous blog in Detroit.

Monday, November 21, 2005

Calling All Turkeys.

Confirmed: Friendship House and its subsidiary foodbank, Harvest House, DO need Thanksgiving turkeys.

This call to action was spurred by an email passed along by a loyal reader...

"...While listening to the 2 AM news on 950 AM, an announcement was made that Friendship House, a food kitchen operating in Hamtramck for 76 years, sent their funds to Katrina Relief. Having done that, they now find they cannot feed the locals, the job they were commissioned to do. They either need money or turkeys. However, I have found that just dumping a load of frozen turkeys on people is not a good idea. I have no idea of their food storage capacity. Whether they would be able to unfreeze large turkeys in time for Thanksgiving, or even if they need money or other supplies. Have you ever heard of Friendship House? I never knew it existed..."
For the record, Friendship House and the Harvest House foodbank are vital and tireless guardians of community well-being. Harvest House (sometimes referred to by the locals as Hamtramck Harvest) recently moved into its new location at 9540 Conant, and volunteers are on site to accept any and all donations.

Especially turkeys.


For more information, contact Wanda or Kim at Friendship House at (313) 365-5561, or bring your bird and other donatables by 9540 Conant, attention Julie Vollmer or Mr. Murphy.

And tell 'em Hamtown Confidential sent you.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't even know about this site. I came upon it during a google search. However, as a follow up, the outpouring support for our turkey drive was overwhelming. People of goodwill came from all over to aid this community at a critical time. It also allowed this great area to be spotlighted as a city that care about the plight of her citizens

I am saddened to know that the initial blooger had never heard of Friendship House. Probably, because I run accross people everywhere I go who have wonderful things to say about the positive impact this institution has made in their lives.

This is a truly international town. As such, our agency daily endeavors to serve this diverse community with pride and dignity through; early childhood education, rent & utilities assistance, and supplemetal food services. For 76 years Friendship House has been committed to Showing God's love in action and leveling the playing field for it's client's.

Many are aware that this has been a truly challenging year for us, nonetheless, we have been successful, as a team, in making the internal adjustments needed for our agency to remain viable in the years to come.

With that said, if you have not heard of friendship house before,look for great things in 2006 and beyond. If you are an alum. or have been a Friend of Friendship House... It's time to come back home!

Mike, God bless you for this site. Keep up the great work.

DeAmo Murphy
Interim Executive Director
Friendship House - Hamtramck

12/13/2005 7:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mike,

Your empathy and compassion for your fellow humans is commendable.

Thanksgiving tradition is about celebrating life and a growing number of Americans are choosing to do so by serving delicious vegetarian fare that everyone, including the turkeys, can be thankful for.

Harvest Compassion During the Holidays

See video:

http://www.cok.net/feat/thanksgiving/

Be kind to all!

11/11/2007 10:08 PM

 
Blogger Mike said...

Thanks, anonymous. As a vegetarian for over 14 years, I hear you loud and clear. I know Compassion Over Killing will join me in donating healthy vegetarian (and vegan) items to our nearest food pantries--right now at Thanksgiving time and all year 'round. Again: thanks for the enlightening message!

11/12/2007 9:27 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home